IT for FIT
Servicing > IT for FIT FAQs
Click here to download
your own copy!
Spam – How to stop unwanted Email
FIT tags ‘spam’ from specific mail sites. It then marks their headers allowing you to filter out this mail from your regular mail.
How it works:
Messages that are received by the mail server are compared to a known “blacklist” maintained by outside governing bodies. FIT does not delete messages that are on the blacklist. We mark the “header” record. You can then choose to move messages to a spam mailbox, as explained above, or to delete the message. FIT recommends that you move messages to a bulk email mailbox such as “spam”. You should review your spam mailbox periodically and delete the unwanted messages. Valid messages can sometimes be found in your spam mailbox.
To Manage Spam at the Imail server:
- Login on Imail web site (http://imail.fitnyc.edu)
- Under Personal Account Options…choose Change Processing Rules
- Click on add
- In the field: field, choose Header
- Click on contains
- In the Phrase: box enter X-IMAIL-SPAM
- Click on Add Condition – Header contains X-IMAIL-SPAM should now appear in The Rule: box
- Click the Move message to this mailbox box
- Enter spam in the space provided
The first time a message with X-IMAIL-SPAM arrives; a mailbox called spam will be created for you. You should check this mailbox regularly to make sure the mail is truly spam and also to delete it.
To Manage Spam at your desktop using MS Outlook:
- Click on “tools” in the file menu, then choose ‘rules and alerts’
- Click on ‘new rule’, then click on the radio button ‘start from blank rule’
- Choose ‘check message when they arrive’, click next
- Scroll down the list shown in Step 1, click ‘with specific words in message header’, now click on ‘ specific words’ in Step 2
- Enter the phrase ‘x-imail-spam’, click ‘add’, then ‘ok’, then ‘next’
- Click on the first selection, ‘move it to a specified folder’ in Step 1, click on ‘ specified’ in Step 2
- Choose the folder ‘Junk E-mail’, click ‘ok’
- Now, scroll down the list in Step 1 and click on ‘stop processing more rules’
- Now click on ‘finish’, and now on ‘ok’
- You should check this mailbox regularly to make sure the mail is truly spam and also to delete it.
For more information call: (212) 217-4357