IT for FIT Servicing
> IT for FIT FAQs
Please read the Password FAQ's
Click here to download your own copy!
Changing Your Password
There are three methods of changing your password.
- www3.fitnyc.edu/IT (anywhere, on or off campus)
- imail.fitnyc.edu (anywhere, on or off campus)
- at your desktop on campus
1) How to change your password from www3.fitnyc.edu
(if you never changed your password before, it is your birth date in the format is MmmDDYYYY, ex: July 27, 1980 is Jul271980)
- Using your web browser, go to the address www3.fitnyc.edu/IT
- Choose ‘Change Your Password’ from the choices
on the top left of the screen.
- You may now see an FIT security certificate appear on your screen. If you do, click yes to proceed.
- On the first line (Username) enter your username
- On the second line (Old password) enter your current password
- On the third line (New password) enter your new password, remember:
- it MUST be 6 characters or more long
- it MUST contain at least one each of the following:
- an uppercase letter (A, B, Q)
- a lowercase letter (a, b, q)
- a number (1,2,3,4,5)
- example: a birth date of 5/09/1983 would be May051983
- Make sure that it's a new password, you can't use the exact same password as you did in the past
- On the fourth and last line (Confirm new password) enter your new password again to confirm it
- Finally you'll hit enter or click on OK
- You will receive a message ‘Password changed successfully’. If you receive any other message your password has not been changed, go back to step 1.
- Your password is now changed and you can go back to work
2) How to change your password from Imail.fitnyc.edu
- Using your web browser, go to the address imail.fitnyc.edu
- Click on the 'Change Your Password Now'
3) How to change your password from a desktop computer ON-CAMPUS
- You must first login to a PC. If you are already logged in, go to step 3.
- To login - Enter ctrl-alt-delete and then enter your username, password and the domain (the third line) as FITSUNY. Your first login will log you in with the password you were given.
- Now, enter ctrl-alt-delete, but this time choose “change password” from the six choices on the screen, the lower left selection box. The computer will now ask you to enter your old password, and then your new password and to confirm it.
- Hit ok, and wait for the computer to confirm your password change
- Now you will see six choices on the screen again. Choose “cancel”, the lower right selection box. This will return you to your regular desktop.
PASSWORD CHANGE POLICY
For access to the FIT network (your login, email, dial up, etc), passwords must be at least 6 characters long and include at least one lower case letter (d,e,f) and at least one numeric character (0,1,2,3…9) and at least one capital letter (A,B,C). This password must be changed at least once every 120 days. You will not be able to reuse previous passwords. This system will prompt you when action is required.
For access to Banner, passwords must be at least 6 characters long and include at least one numeric character. This password must be changed at least once every 120 days. You will not be able to reuse previous passwords.
NOTES: All passwords are case sensitive -- PassWord is different from password.
Do not share your password. You are responsible for anyone logged into your account.
Do not write your password down . If you must keep a record of it, do not store it in your desk or on your monitor.
Do not pick passwords that would be easy for someone to guess, such as a password containing:
A complex password is useless if you cannot remember it. You should choose a
password you can remember and yet is complex. For example, Msi5!YOld (My
Son is 5 years old) OR IhliCf5#yN (I have lived in California for 5 years now).
- Your name.
- Your children's or partner's name.
- Stress related words, like "deadline" or "work".
- Sports teams.
- The current, or your favorite season.
- Repeated characters like aaaaaaa, fffffff.
- The current month.
For more information call: (212) 217-4357